About the Department
The Department of Paediatrics Surgery has played a significant role in the comprehensive treatment of all operative and non-operative paediatrics surgical problems. The Surgeons and the nurses in the Department of Paediatrics Surgery are specially trained in surgical care of neonates, infants and children. The department works in conjugation with Dept of Paediatrics and Neonatology to provide comprehensive care to the surgical neonate, infant and child. All surgical condition in the children from birth are successfully managed using World Class Facilities The department treats children who need surgery and is a tertiary referral centre for all the neonates and children with surgical problems for North Karnataka region.
The Department of Paediatric Surgery is fully functional since 2009 and has 25 beds including a neonatal ICU. The neonatal surgical intensive care unit is equipped with state of the art life support systems for each newborn (portable incubators, neonatal ventilators, open infant care systems, multi-function monitors, electronic weighing scale for the newborns, humidifiers, syringe pumps and slow suction machines, photo-therapy machine, blood gas analyzer and others). From its inception, the department has tried to take care of all surgical needs of children. It has become the epicenter of excellence in the field of neonatal surgery, pediatric neurosurgery, thoracic surgery, gastro-intestinal surgery, hepato-biliary surgery, urologic surgery, onco-surgery and endoscopic surgery.
About the Staff
Dr Venkatesh M. Annigeri
Professor and HOD
Completed his MBBS from the Shri B.M Patil Medical College Bijapur and MS in General Surgery and M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery both from Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGI), Chandigarh. He was awarded FMAS (Fellow in Minimal Access Surgery) and FAIS (Fellow of Association of Surgeons of India) in 2010. He is a life member of the IMA (Indian Medical Association), IAP (Indian Association of Pediatrics), ASI (Association of Surgeons of India), IAPS (Indian Association of Pediatrics Surgeons), AMASI (Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India). PESI (pediatric endoscopic surgeons of India)
Dr Anil H Halgeri
Completed MBBS from B J medical college Pune, MS in General Surgery from Grant’s medical college Mumbai and M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery from KEM Mumbai. Has worked in B J Wadia hospital for children in Mumbai and ministry of health in Saudi Arabia. Has 30 years standing experience in the field of paediatric surgery
Dr. Bahubali Gadgade
Completed MBBS from Shri B. M. Patil Medical College Bijapur , M S General Surgery from M.R.M.C Gulbarga and M.Ch. Paediatric Surgery from BMCRI, Bangalore.
The department provides outpatient, inpatient and emergency surgical care of patients. Outpatient consultation and services are available from 8.30 AM to 5.00 PM, Monday to Saturday. Inpatient facilities are provided round the clock. The operating rooms are state of the art with the latest equipments and facilities.
Surgical procedures performed by the department include
Neonatal Surgery – tiny babies
- Tracheo-oesophageal Fistulae
- Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia
- Intestinal Atresias
- Malrotation & Volvulus of Intestine
- Abdominal Wall Defect
- Anorectal Malformations
Paediatric Urology- kidney problems
- Posterior Urethral Valves
- Vesico-Uretheral Reflux
- Exstrophy-Epispadias Complex
- Neurogenic Bladder
- Undescended Testis
- Biliary Atresia
- Choledochol Cysts
- Hepatic Cysts
- Gallstone Disease
- Spina Bifida
Paediatrics Solid Tumours
- Wilm’s Tumour
- Ewing’s Sarcoma
Paediatrics Gastrointestinal Surgery– stomach and gut problems.
- Hirschsprung’s Disease
- Intestinal Obstruction from various causes
- Pyloric Stenosis
- Gastro-oesophageal Reflux
Surgery for congenital malformations – born with problems
Paeditric Laproscopic Surgery
Paediatric Thoracic Surgery
- VATS(Video-Assisted-Thoracoscophic Surgery)
- Removal of Mediastinal Tumours
- Lung Resection
- Foreign bodies in the bronchus or Esophagus. Removing things that should not be there
- Sigmoidoscopy and Gastro-duodenoscopy
Trauma/accidents that need surgery
- Kaposiform Hemangioendothelioma With Kasabach-Merritt Syndrome In A Newborn. Annigeri VM, Pai VV, Dasar SK. European Journal of Pediatric Dermatology. 2012; 22: 249-252.
- Klebsiella associated phagedenic ulcers in infants – a report of two cases Varadraj. V. Pai, Venkatesh Annigeri, Ajanta G. Ashok Naik, N. N. Kikkeri T. Sori.. Pediatric dermatology. Article first published online: 2 JUL 2012 DOI: 10.1111/j.1525-1470.2012.01803.
- Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome with H-type anovestibular fistula. Mahajan JK, Venkatesh MA, Bawa M, Rao KL. J Pediatr Surg. 2009 Aug;44(8):E1-3
- Anesthetic challenges in lamellar ichthyosis. Hegde HV, Annigeri VM, Pai VV. Paediatr Anaesth. 2012 May;22(5):492-4.
- Pattern of Foreign Body Aspiration in Children- An Experience at SDM College of Medical Sciences and Hospital Budensab.A.H , Venkatesh M Annigeri , Preveen S Bagalkot, Vikram R Gouda International Journal of Health Sciences & Research (www.ijhsr.org) Vol.2; Issue: 8; November 2012
- Gall bladder gangrene and perforation complicating typhoid fever Budensab AH, Annigeri VM.. Int J Health Sci Res. 2012;2(9):93-95.
- Unusual Cause of Stridor in a Preschool Child Budensab A H, Praveen S. Bagalkot, Venkatesh Annigeri, Suhas N. Joshi.. International Journal of Health Sciences & Research (www.ijhsr.org) 126 Vol.2; Issue: 6; September 2012
- Outcome analysis of palatoplasty in various types of cleft palate. Annigeri VM, Mahajan JK, Nagarkar A, Singh SP. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg 2012;17:157-61
- Pyloroduodenal duplication cyst. Annigeri VM, Hegde HV, Patil PB, Halgeri AB, Rao PR. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg. 2012 Apr;17(2):80-1.
- Etiological spectrum of acute intestinal obstruction. Annigeri VM, Mahajan JK, Rao KL. Indian Pediatr. 2009 Dec;46(12):1102-3
- Congenital giant megaureter with duplex kidney presenting as abdominal lump in a neonate Annigeri VM, Hegde HV, Patil PB, Halgeri AB, Rao PR. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg 2012;17:168-70
- Prune belly syndrome with congenital pouch colon. Venkatesh M. Annigeri, Manjunth T. Bhat, Harihar V. Hegde, Rashmi V Annigeri,Anil B. Halgeri. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg 2013:18:79-80.
- Management of a 10-month-old child with a rare combination of Bardet-Biedl syndrome and ano-rectal malformation undergoing anterior sagittal ano-rectoplasty. Hegde HV, Pai RB, Yaliwal VG, Annigeri VM, Halgeri AB, Rao PR. J Anesth. 2012 Feb;26(1):132-3. Epub 2011 Oct 15.
- Surgical management and outcome analysis of stage III pediatric empyema thoracis. Menon P, Rao KL, Singh M, Venkatesh MA, Kanojia RP, Samujh R, Saxena AK, Batra YK. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg. 2010 Jan;15(1):9-14
- Foreign Bodies in the Bronchi - 3 Years Experience. Annigeri VM, Kulkarni V, Halgeri AB, Annigeri RV, Joshi SN. Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2012 Jul-Dec; 27 (3 & 4): 116-118
- Spectrum and Outcome Analysis of Acute Intestinal Obstruction in Neonates and Children. Annigeri VM, Kulkarni V, Annigeri RV, Halgeri AB, Joshi SN. Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2012 Jul-Dec; 27 (3 & 4): 106-110
- Mesocolic Hernia: An Unusual Internal Hernia Annigeri VM, Kulkarni V, Annigeri RV, Halgeri AB, Joshi SN. Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2012 Jul-Dec; 27 (3 & 4): 111-113
- Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia: a 3- Years Experience in a Single Center. Annigeri VM, Kulkarni V, Annigeri RV, Halgeri AB, Budensab AH, Bagalkot PS, Joshi SN. Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2012 Jul-Dec; 27 (3 & 4): 143-148.
- Intussusceptions In Children. A 4- Years Experience In A Single Center Venkatesh M. Annigeri, Vijay Kulkarni, Rashmi V.Annigeri, Anil B. Halgeri, Budensab A H, Praveen S Bagalkot, S.N Josh Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2013 April-Sep ; 28 (2 & 3): 50-54.
- Nasal Glioma. A Case Report . Venkatesh M. Annigeri, Raghunath D Shanbag ,Vijay Kulkarni, Ashok S Naik, Preetam B. Patil Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2013 April-Sep ; 28 (2 & 3): 109-111.
- Spontaneous neonatal gastric perforation: a case report Venkatesh M. Annigeri, Vijay Kulkarni, .Rashmi V Annigeri Anil B. Halgeri, S.N Joshi Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2013 Oct-Dec ; 28 (4): 137-139
- Gastrointestinal perforation in neonates Venkatesh M. Annigeri , Vijay Kulkarni, Rashmi V Annigeri,.Mahesh Maralihalli, Anil B. Halgeri, S.N Joshi Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2013 Oct-Dec ; 28 (4): 140-146.
- Rare presentation of bronchogenic cyst as bronchiectasis: a case report Venkatesh M.Annigeri,HariharV.Hegde, Preetam B.Patil, Vijay Kulkarni, Anil B. Halgeri, Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2013 Oct-Dec ; 28 (4): 152-154.
- Lumbo-costo-vertebral syndrome Venkatesh.M.Annigeri, Sameer Desai, Santosh Dasar, Vijay Kulkarni,Anil B. Halgeri. Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2013 Oct-Dec ; 28 (4): 155-157.
- Pattern of Foreign Body Aspiration in Children Budensab AH, Annigeri VM, Bagalkot PS, Gouda VR. Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2012 Jul-Dec; 27 (3 & 4): 125-129.
Dr. Venkatesh Annigeri
Professor and HOD
Dr. Anil Halgeri
Dr. Bahubali D Gadgade