About the department
Improving the quality of life is an important aim of Physical Therapy Treatment. Enabling patients to recover from their neurological deficits and make them return to community is a challenging and daunting task. It requires patience, commitment and most importantly a great team work. At SDM Neurology Physiotherapy department this is well executed. Neurology in SDM Physiotherapy department is currently working as two separate specialties of Neuromedicine and Neurosurgery. It is managed by Faculties who have completed their Masters in Neurology & Psychosomatic disorders. They have accumulated many years of clinical experience in wide clinical conditions of Neurology. They are experts in evaluating, setting individualistic goals, providing patient centered counseling, using outcome tools to monitor progress of therapy, developing various strategies of therapy that will be customized to individual, using advanced techniques of rehabilitation supported by evidence, working with external NGO’s for vocational training & having an approach that is solution based rather than problem based, making the rehabilitation complete. The department caters to both out-patients as well inpatient services. Having the clinical set up in the ground floor at the new Super Specialty block with all the latest & essential equipments, it provides the perfect place for patients to undergo rehabilitation.
P T Neuromedicine
The Inpatient services are rendered for short & long term Rehabilitation emphasizing on functional recovery. Reference of cases is received from the Doctors to take care of neurological deficits in the neurological conditions. Some cases are exclusively admitted by Physiotherapist under Neuro-physician for long term rehabilitation. They are shifted to the physiotherapy department as per the need; Mat exercises, Tilt table, electrotherapy modalities & exercise therapy approaches are used for therapy. Therapist sets a high standard of practice and works as a team to bring about to an overall change in the life of Patient. Neurological approaches such as NDT, Brunstrom, MRP and Constraint induced Therapy and PNF are used as appropriately needed to enhance recovery. If the patient cannot be brought to the department, bedside treatment is given to the patients. For long term rehabilitation patients, Social workers are involved along with the local NGO’s to support the patients for their vocational rehabilitation. In patient services caters to patients with
Stroke, Brain tumors, spinal cord diseases, parkinsons disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Bells palsy, Adult CP, Cerebellar disorders & more.
The outpatient services are rendered for clinical conditions having developed Neurological deficits because of various causes. From the perspective of Physiotherapy in Neuromedicine we routinely attend to
- Stroke cases – providing sub-acute and chronic care for patients having had CVA. After receiving preliminary intensive care, patients are referred to our OPD for rehabilitation. Our treatment goal is focused on improving mobility, functional abilities, independent ambulation and restoring the individual back to main stream community. Plan of management is executed with Mat exercises, Electrotherapy treatment, Gait rehabilitation on parallel bar, treadmill and work out at the gymnasium. Patients also visit the facility for maintenance of their neurological recovery after completing the Physiotherapy rehabilitation.
- Peripheral nerve lesions – The patients are first evaluated by an NCV study, after which a thorough neurological examination is performed. Later physiotherapy treatment is initiated with electrical stimulation, exercises and home program. An outcome scale is used to monitor the progress every 10 days and therapy is reviewed.
- Demylenating conditions – GB Syndrome and other polyneuropathy patients are also managed on OPD basis. They are transported in their personal vehicle till the department after which our attenders help the care takers to shift the patient to the therapy area. A separate evaluation procedure according to the condition is taken and a functional outcome scale is used to study prognosis at later stages. The patients visit us till they become ambulatory and able to manage their ADL. Other conditions that are also treated include
- Metabolic conditions – diabetic neuropathy
- Inflammatory conditions – Meningitis, encephalitis
- Adult developmental delayed cases of Cerebral palsy.
- Neurogenic pain cases are also treated.
- Therapy is also given for training balance in ataxic patients, to improve arousal level in comatosed patients, to reduce vertigo in BPPV patients.
P T Neurosurgery
A specialized team of physiotherapy is actively involved in evaluation, treatment and management of patients who are operated or conservatively managed by neurosurgery team. Post neurosurgery patients are referred for physiotherapy for acute bed side care and to further make the patients independent in their activities of daily living. Immediate post operatively physiotherapy treatment is emphasized towards prevention of complications like deep vein thrombosis, pressure sores etc. in the later stages physiotherapy is rendered towards making the patient independent. Treatment of patients for making them independent is in the form of gait training, training for sit to stand, and training for independence for activities of daily living.
Patients who are referred for physiotherapy are as follows-
- Head injury
- Patients operated for intracranial haemorrhage post Cerebrovascular accident
- Patients operated for intracerebral aneurismal clipping
- Patients operated for intracerebral tumors
- Post spinal stabilization surgeries- for spinal cord injuries, intervertebral disc prolapse, Spinal tumors and spondylolisthesis
- Laminectomy and discectomy for cervical and lumbar segments
- Laminectomy for thoracic spine
Outpatient services are extended towards patients referred by neurosurgery department. Our specialized team is actively involved in a thorough evaluation and problem specific management of patients.
Physiotherapy offers advanced treatment for various conditions such as:
- Post laminectomy and discectomy (lumbar and cervical) for strengthening exercises and ergonomic advise.
- Patients with cervical and lumbar spondylosis
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Patients with foot and wrist drop
- Patients requiring rehabilitation post head injury, post Cerebrovascular accident etc
8.30 am to 5.00 pm
1.00 pm to 2.00 pm - Lunch break
C G Prashanth MPT
Sharmila Dudhani MPT